Jackie Robinson Day
Los Angeles Angels (5-4, 1st AL West) @ Minnesota Twins (0-9, 5th AL Central)
Target Field – Minneapolis, MN
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Mostly Cloudy, 70F, Wind SSE 15mph
Garrett Richards (0-2, 3.86 ERA)
Richards’ first two starts of the season have not gone as well as he may have liked, but they have been solid. Nonetheless, Richards is still winless on the season as he hasn’t gotten much run support from the Angel offense as they’ve scored just 1 run total in the two games that Richards has started so far. Richards’ last start was Saturday at home against Texas. In that game he pitched into the 7th inning giving up 4 runs, but only two of those runs were earned and one scored after Richards was removed from the game. Ultimately he took the loss in a game the Angels lost 4-1.
Tommy Milone (0-1, 3.86 ERA)
Milone made his season debut Saturday in Kansas City and while he started off cruising, retiring the first 10 batters he faced, he ran into some trouble he wasn’t able to get out of in the 5th inning. After giving up back-to-back homers, he was hurt by a couple of errors and ended up giving up 4 runs (2 earned) in 4 2/3 innings. Ultimately he and the Twins – who have started the season with 9 straight losses – went on to lose to the World Champion Royals by the final score of 7-0.
- The Angels won five of their seven games against the Twins last season, after going 7-0 against Minnesota in 2014. They’ve won 11 of their last 13 season series against the Twins.
- Milone gave up five runs and recorded only four outs in his only start against the Angels last year, but he posted a 2.89 ERA in three starts against them in 2014 as a member of the A’s.
- Richards has a 2.66 ERA in three starts against the Twins over the last two seasons, giving up seven runs in 23 2/3 innings despite issuing 12 walks in that span.
- 3B-Yunel Escobar – .306
- LF-Craig Gentry – .235
- CF-Mike Trout – .250
- DH-Albert Pujols – .176
- 1B-C.J. Cron – .103
- RF-Kole Calhoun – .387
- SS-Andrelton Simmons – .235
- C-Carlos Perez – .143
- 2B-Johnny Giavotella – .130
- 2B-Eduardo Nunez – .667
- 1B-Joe Mauer – .387
- RF-Miguel Sano – .143
- 3B-Trevor Plouffe – .161
- LF-Oswaldo Arcia – .000
- DH-Byung Ho Park – .160
- SS-Eduardo Escobar – .324
- CF-Eddie Rosario – .167
- C-Kurt Suzuki – .105
Other AL West Matchups
- Seattle @ NY Yankees – 4:05pm PT
- Baltimore @ Texas – 5:05pm PT
- Detroit @ Houston – 5:10pm PT
- Kansas City @ Oakland – 7:05pm PT