Los Angeles Angels (6-8, 3rd AL West) at Chicago White Sox (9-5, 2nd AL Central)
U.S. Cellular Field – Chicago, IL
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Cloudy, 65F, Wind ESE 9mph, 15% Chance of Rain
Garrett Richards (0-2, 3.57 ERA)
Richards has pitched well in each of his three starts so far this season but is still searching for his first victory. He faces a stiff challenge getting it this afternoon going up against White Sox ace Chris Sale. In his last start Friday in Minnesota, Richards gave up just 2 runs on 4 hits over 6 innings, but he took the no-decision as the Angel bullpen squandered the lead and the Angels lost the game 5-4.
Chris Sale (3-0, 2.35 ERA)
Chicago ace Chris Sale has gotten his 2016 season off to a great start having won each of his first three starts so far. His most impressive outing to date came in his last start on Friday in Tampa Bay. In that game Sale threw a complete game shutout, shutting out the Rays on just 2 hits and setting a season high in strikeouts at 9. Those 9 strikeouts brings his season total to 23 in 23 innings. Suffice it to say, Sale has been dominant so far in 2016 having gone at least 7 innings and giving up 3 or fewer runs in every start so far.
- White Sox hitters have a combined 71 at-bats against Richards. The only player to homer is Jose Abreu, who is 4-for-6 with one home run and four RBIs in his career off the righty.
- Angels sluggers Mike Trout and Albert Pujols are a combined 5-for-28 (.179) against Sale.
- Richards has a 4.29 ERA in eight appearances against the White Sox, including two starts. In those starts, he went 2-0 with a 3.00 ERA (five earned runs in 15 innings).
AL West Standings
- Texas: 8-6 (.571)
- Oakland: 7-7 (.500)
- Angels: 6-8 (.429)
- Seattle: 5-8 (.385)
- Houston: 5-9 (.357)
Other AL West Matchups
- Seattle @ Cleveland – 3:10pm PT
- Oakland @ NY Yankees – 4:05pm PT
- Houston @ Texas – 5:05pm PT