Congratulations to Albert Pujols on hitting his 564th homerun, surpassing Hall of Famer and former Angel Reggie Jackson for 13th all-time!
Kansas City Royals (12-6, 2nd AL Central) at Los Angeles Angels (8-11, 4th AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 66F, Wind WNW 16mph
Ian Kennedy (2-1, 1.35 ERA)
Each of Kennedy’s 3 starts so far this season have been very solid. He’s not gone less than 6 1/3 innings and not given up more than 2 runs in a game this year. His last start was Wednesday at home against Detroit and in that game he gave up 2 earned runs on 6 hits in 6 1/3 innings. He did however take the tough luck loss as the Royals dropped that game by the final score of 2-1.
Garrett Richards (0-3, 3.00 ERA)
Richards has certainly pitched better than his 0-3 record would indicate as he’s not given up more than 3 earned runs in a start this season. The Angel offense has however been less than supportive as they’ve scored more than 1 run for him just once this season. In his last start Wednesday in Chicago, he pitched well once again going 6 1/3 innings giving up just 2 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits. The Angels would however go on to lose the game 2-1, pegging Richards with his third loss of the season.
- The Angels are 3-5 at home this year, while the Royals have been the league’s best road team since the start of 2013 with 137 road wins.
- Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain is 5-of-11 (.455) career against Richards with three doubles and a homer, left fielder Alex Gordon is 4-of-6 (.667), and Mike Moustakas is 3-of-7 (.429).
- Angels’ Yunel Escobar has had his way with Kennedy — 2-for-4 with a homer and four walks.
- Royals’ Eric Hosmer is on a 14-game hitting streak and has reached base in 26 straight games.
- Richards is winless through his first four starts, but his three losses have come against Jake Arrieta, Cole Hamels and Chris Sale. He’s given up only eight earned runs in 24 innings, striking out 25 batters. He’s allowed six runs in 13 innings against the Royals the last two years.
- SS-Alcides Escobar – .244
- 3B-Mike Moustakas – .271
- CF-Lorenzo Cain – .212
- 1B-Eric Hosmer – .314
- DH-Kendrys Morales – .242
- LF-Alex Gordon – .246
- C-Salvador Perez – .263
- 2B-Omar Infante – .268
- RF-Jarrod Dyson – .368
- 3B-Yunel Escobar – .260
- CF-Rafael Ortega – .238
- DH-Mike Trout – .299
- 1B-Albert Pujols – .153
- RF-Kole Calhoun – .294
- SS-Andrelton Simmons – .225
- 2B-Cliff Pennington – .200
- C-Carlos Perez – .150
- LF-Ji-Man Choi – .125
AL West Standings
- Oakland: 10-9 (.526)
- Texas: 10-9 (.526)
- Seattle: 9-9 (.500)
- Angels: 8-11 (.421)
- Houston: 6-13 (.316)
Other AL West Matchup
- Oakland @ Detroit – 4:10pm PT
- NY Yankees @ Texas – 5:05pm PT
- Houston @ Seattle – 7:10pm PT