Kansas City Royals (12-7, 2nd AL Central) at Los Angeles Angels (9-11, 4th AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 66F, Wind WSW 8mph
Edinson Volquez (3-0, 1.46 ERA)
Volquez has gotten his 2016 season off to a fine start winning 3 of his first 4 starts so far, and the Royals are 4-0 in games he’s started. He has also given up just 4 earned runs across 24 2/3 innings in his 4 games so far. His last start was Thursday at home against Detroit and Volquez tossed 7 shutout frames, liminting the Tigers to just 5 hits in a game the Royals won 4-0.
Jered Weaver (2-0, 3.12 ERA)
Having started his 2016 season with a couple of quality starts sandwiched around a shaky one, Weaver will be looking to build on the encouraging results he saw in his last outing Thursday in Chicago. In that game Weaver gave up just 1 run on 3 hits over 7 innings, but perhaps more importantly he seemed to get stronger as the game went along, hitting as much as 85mph on the gun in the 7th inning. The Angels went on to win that game 3-2, giving Weaver his 2nd victory of the season.
- Volquez hasn’t had much good fortune against the Angels – he’s 1-3 career against them with an unsightly 9.42 ERA. But he’s coming off a solid outing against the Tigers — seven scoreless innings in a 4-0 win.
- Weaver is coming off a really good start against the White Sox, giving up just one run and allowing five base runners in seven innings. His fastball hit 84 and 85 mph several times, and even touched 86 once. That’s actually an improvement for him. He has a 2.77 ERA in 14 career starts against the Royals, but allowed nine runs (eight earned) in 10 1/3 innings against them last year.
- Struggling right-handed Angels hitters C.J. Cron (.153/.242/.220) and Johnny Giavotella (.136/.156/.136) were both out of the starting lineup on Monday. It’ll be interesting to see when they play in the series with two more Royals right-handers slated. The Angels have left-handed-hitting first baseman Ji-Man Choi and switch-hitting infielder Cliff Pennington to replace them.
- Yunel Escobar (4-for-15) and Albert Pujols (4-for-10) are the only ones who have any real experience against Volquez.
- Kendrys Morales finds Weaver good hittin’ – he is 8 of 14 (.571) against Weaver.
AL West Standings
- Seattle: 10-9 (.526)
- Oakland: 10-10 (.500)
- Texas: 10-10 (.500)
- Angels: 9-11 (.450)
- Houston: 6-14 (.300)
Other AL West Matchups
- Oakland @ Detroit – 4:10pm PT
- NY Yankees @ Texas – 5:05pm PT
- Houston @ Seattle – 7:10pm PT