St. Louis Cardinals (16-16, 3rd NL Central) at Los Angeles Angels (13-18, 4th AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 67F, Wind W 8mph
Mike Leake (0-3, 6.03 ERA)
Winless in his first six starts, Leake has struggled quite a bit during the early part of the 2016 season. Of particular concern is his propensity for the big inning, as he’s struggled mightily pitching from the stretch this season. In his last start Wednesday against Philadelphia he cruised through the first 3 innings, but gave up his trademark crooked number (3) in the fourth, then another one in the 5th. In the end he was charged with 4 runs on 4 hits over 5 innings, but got a no-decision in a game the Cardinals eventually won 5-4.
Hector Santiago (2-1, 3.58 ERA)
In a season that has suddenly taken a turn for the absolute worst for the Angels and their starting rotation, Hector has fortunately been a stabilizing force so far. He’s been able to post quality starts in 4 of his 6 starts so far, but unfortunately the 2 non-quality starts have been his most recent two. His last time out Wednesday in Milwaukee he gave up just 3 runs, threw 116 pitches in just 5 1/3 innings. He took a no-decision as the Angel offense did their damage late and won 7-3.
- The Angels have been decimated by injuries to their starting rotation and have yet to name a starter for Wednesday’s game. Starters Garrett Richards, Andrew Heaney and C.J. Wilson are all on the disabled list.
- Only two active Cardinals have faced Santiago — Brandon Moss and Ruben Tejada — and they are a combined 1-for-6.
- Andrelton Simmons is hitting .438 (7-for-16) in his career against Leake with a homer, an RBI and two doubles.
- 3B-Matt Carpenter – .256
- RF-Stephen Piscotty – .323
- DH-Matt Holliday – .235
- CF-Randal Grichuk – .198
- C-Yadier Molina – .309
- 1B-Brandon Moss – .221
- 2B-Jedd Gyorko – .197
- LF-Jeremy Hazelbaker – .297
- SS-Aledmys Diaz – .396
- 3B-Yunel Escobar – .301
- RF-Kole Calhoun – .295
- CF-Mike Trout – .313
- DH-Albert Pujols – .190
- LF-Daniel Nava – .217
- 1B-C.J. Cron – .261
- 2B-Johnny Giavotella – .191
- C-Geovany Soto – .300
- SS-Cliff Pennington – .175
AL West Standings
- Seattle: 19-13 (.594)
- Texas: 18-15 (.545) – 1.5 GB
- Oakland: 14-19 (.424) – 5.5 GB
- Angels: 13-18 (.419) – 5.5 GB
- Houston: 13-20 (.394) – 6.5 GB
Other AL West Matchups
- Oakland @ Boston – 4:10pm PT
- Chi. WSox @ Texas – 5:05pm PT
- Cleveland @ Houston – 5:10pm PT
- Tampa Bay @ Seattle – 7:10pm PT