Detroit Tigers (24-27, 4th AL Central) at Los Angeles Angels (24-28, 3rd AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Partly Cloudy, 74F, Wind SW 7mph
Michael Fulmer (4-1, 3.97 ERA)
Detroit’s young 23 year-old rookie is really making a case for himself to stay in the Tigers’ rotation. After a couple of shaky starts after he was first called up on April 29, he has really come on of late, particularly in his last two outings. He’s given up just 1 run over his last 14 2/3 innings, and his last outing in Oakland was a real gem. In that game he tossed 7 2/3 innings of shutout ball, allowing just 3 hits to take the victory in a game the Tigers won 4-1.
Matt Shoemaker (3-5. 5.96 ERA)
Shoemaker’s season has been pretty rocky, and even saw him suffer a brief demotion to AAA after his season ERA spiked to 9.15 on April 30, but he ultimately never threw a pitch in AAA as injuries necessitated his immediate recall. Since then he seems to have ironed things out, particularly over his last two outings. He’s given up just 2 runs over his last 15 2/3 innings and his last time out he really gave the Angels a boost with 8 1/3 innings of 2-run ball, taking the victory in a game the Angels took over Houston 7-2.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Tuesday he expects to have third baseman Yunel Escobar back in the lineup on Wednesday. Escobar hasn’t played since Sunday due to a bruised left wrist.
- Tigers hitters are a combined 5-for-44 with one extra-base hit, five walks and nine strikeouts against Shoemaker. Two of those hits, including the double, come from leadoff man Ian Kinsler.
- The Tigers have a quick turnaround upon their return from the West Coast, returning to Detroit for a makeup game against the Yankees on Thursday that will start 24 1/2 hours after first pitch Wednesday. With that in mind, manager Brad Ausmus hinted he could rest some players out of necessity.
- 2B-Ian Kinsler – .315
- RF-J.D. Martinez – .251
- DH-Miguel Cabrera – .304
- 1B-Victor Martinez – .343
- 3B-Nick Castellanos – .319
- LF-Justin Upton – .217
- CF-Cameron Maybin – .429
- C-Jarrod Saltalamacchia – .191
- SS-Jose Iglesias – .211
- 2B-Johnny Giavotella -.286
- RF-Kole Calhoun -.298
- DH-Mike Trout – .318
- 1B-C.J. Cron – .250
- 3B-Jefry Marte – .600
- LF-Rafael Ortega – .245
- C-Carlos Perez – .202
- CF-Shane Robinson – .190
- SS-Gregorio Petit – .228
AL West Standings
- Texas: 31-21 (.596)
- Seattle: 30-21 (.588) – 0.5 GB
- Angels: 24-28 (.462) – 7 GB
- Houston: 24-29 (.453) – 7.5 GB
- Oakland: 24-29 (.453) – 7.5 GB
Other AL West Matchups
- Minnesota 1, Oakland 4 – Top 6
- Texas @ Cleveland – 3:10pm PT
- Arizona @ Houston – 5:10pm PT
- Seattle @ San Diego – 7:10pm PT