Los Angeles Angels (31-40, 4th AL West) at Houston Astros (36-36, 3rd AL West)
Minute Maid Park – Houston, TX
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Cloudy, 88F, Wind S 7mph
Matt Shoemaker (3-7, 4.50 ERA)
After a troubling start to his season, Shoemaker has been able to turn things around and is in the midst of one of the more dominant runs of his career. Over his last 6 starts he’s pitched to a 1.83 ERA, but unfortunately the team has given him more than 2 runs of support only twice during that span, so he is 2-4 during the span. His last start Friday in Oakland was another beauty as he held the A’s to 1 run on 2 hits over 6 innings, but took a no-decision as the Angels dropped the game 3-2.
Lance McCullers (3-2, 4.24 ERA)
While McCullers has had an up & down season, he’s pitched well at home. He is 2-1 with a 2.55 ERA in 4 starts at Minute Maid Park this season. His last start Friday against Cincinnati was another good one at home as he held the Reds to 2 runs on 8 hits over 6 2/3 innings, but took a no-decision as the Astros dropped the game 4-2.
- Albert Pujols was out of the game Tuesday because of a left hamstring injury he sustained while beating out a double play against Oakland Sunday. Mike Scioscia called Tuesday a “recharge day,” but wouldn’t say if Pujols would return to the lineup Wednesday.
- Colby Rasmus is likely to return to the lineup Wednesday after sitting out Tuesday’s game. He went 3-for-5 with an RBI on Monday and is hitting .364 during the Astros’ homestand.
- Regardless of Wednesday’s outcome, these teams won’t have to wait long to see each other again. The Astros and Angels meet in Anaheim for another three-game series next week (starting Monday, June 27).
- 3B-Yunel Escobar – .309
- RF-Kole Calhoun – .286
- DH-Mike Trout – .301
- 1B-C.J. Cron – .265
- LF-Jefry Marte – .315
- 2B-Johnny Giavotella – .273
- SS-Andrelton Simmons – .211
- C-Jett Bandy – .250
- CF-Shane Robinson – .233
- DH-George Springer – .259
- 1B-Marwin Gonzalez – .259
- 2B-Jose Altuve – .342
- SS-Carlos Correa – .263
- RF-Colby Rasmus – .233
- 3B-Luis Valbuena – .253
- CF-Carlos Gomez – .220
- C-Jason Castro – .206
- LF-Tony Kemp – .205
AL West Standings
- Texas: 46-26 (.639)
- Seattle: 36-35 (.507) – 9.5 GB
- Houston: 36-36 (.500) – 10 GB
- Angels: 31-40 (.437) – 14.5 GB
- Oakland: 29-41 (.414) – 16 GB
Other AL West Matchups
- Milwaukee @ Oakland – 12:35pm PT
- Seattle @ Detroit – 4:10pm PT
- Cincinnati @ Texas – 5:05pm PT