Angel Stadium of Anaheim – Anaheim, CA
San Diego Padres (22-25, T-3rd NL West) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (23-23, T-2nd AL West)
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Partly Cloudy, 69F, Winds SW 8mph, 0% Chance of Rain
TV: Fox Sports West – Victor Rojas & Mark Gubicza
Radio: KLAA AM830 – Terry Smith & Mark Langston
Andrew Cashner (1-7, 2.89 ERA)
Cashner may be the very definition of a tough luck pitcher this year as one might assume looking at his low ERA yet unsightly 1-7 win-loss record. Neither his offense (three total runs of support over his last six starts) or his defense (12 unearned runs) have helped him much this year. Despite all of this, Cashner continues to pitch well, having lowered his ERA to 2.89 after holding the Dodgers to 1 run (0 earned) on 5 hits over 6 innings his last time out Friday.
Garrett Richards (4-2, 2.98 ERA)
Today is Garrett Richards’ 27th birthday, and I’m sure he’s hoping for the gift of run support from his offense. Richards has shown no ill effects from the knee injury that cut his season short last August, as he has returned to form and lowered his ERA below 3 despite giving up 3 runs to the Red Sox over 6 innings at Fenway on Friday, then leaving two runners on with no out in the 7th and being charged with two more runs. Despite all that, the Angel offense gave him all the support he needed with a 9-run 5th inning en route to a 12-5 victory.
- As stated, today is Richards’ 27th birthday, and this will be the first time he has ever pitched on his birthday in the Major Leagues.
- Only four current Angels have faced Cashner in their careers: Collin Cowgill, Chris Iannetta, Albert Pujols and Mike Trout have a combined 13 at-bats, and Cowgill likely won’t start as he usually only plays against left-handed pitchers.
- It appears rookie Padres catcher Austin Hedges, who lives in nearby Tustin and played his high school baseball down I-5 in San Juan Capistrano, could start Wednesday’s series finale. If that happens, catcher Derek Norris could get a break and serve as the DH.
- 1B-Yangervis Solarte – .275
- CF-Will Venable – .304
- LF-Justin Upton – .288
- RF-Matt Kemp – .255
- DH-Derek Norris – .282
- 2B-Cory Spangenberg – .237
- 3B-Will Middlebrooks – .218
- SS-Alexi Amarista – .189
- C-Austin Hedges – .133