Angel Stadium of Anaheim – Anaheim, CA
Detroit Tigers (28-22, 3rd AL Central) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (25-24, 2nd AL West)
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 72F, Winds SW 7mph, 0% Chance of Rain
TV: Fox Sports West – Victor Rojas & Mark Gubicza
Radio: KLAA AM830 – Terry Smith & Mark Langston
Shane Greene (4-3, 4.27 ERA)
Acquired from the Yankees over the offseason in a December three-team trade that also involved the Arizona Diamondbacks, Greene has been able to pitch effectively in Detroit’s rotation so far this season. Over 10 starts spanning 59 innings, Greene has given up 28 earned runs on 55 hits, only 3 of which have been home runs. In his last start on Memorial Day, things fell apart for him in the 6th inning after tossing 5 shoutout innings. He eventually gave up 4 runs in the frame and took the loss.
Jered Weaver (3-4, 4.06 ERA)
After a rough start to the season, Weaver has been able to turn things around of late, having put together four strong outings in a row. In his most recent start, also on Memorial Day, Weaver held the Padres to just 1 run on 6 hits over 6 2/3 innings, but ultimately took the no-decision when Jose Alvarez allowed the runner Weaver left on along with 2 more to score to tie the game in the 7th inning. The Angels eventually won the game on Albert Pujols’ walk-off single in the bottom of the 9th.
- Angels shortstop Erick Aybar, who left Thursday’s game after experincing hamstring tightness while running out a ground ball in the 6th inning, said he hopes to return to the lineup for tonight’s game.
- Johnny Giavotella took over the leadoff spot in Friday’s 2-0 Angels victory, but manager Mike Scioscia says Kole Calhoun, who spent the majority of the 2014 season in the leadoff role, could be an option if Aybar needs more time.
- No active player has more at-bats against Jered Weaver than former AL West rival Ian Kinsler, who is 20-for-85 (.235) with 5 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI in his career against the big right-hander.
- CF-Anthony Gose – .327
- 2B-Ian Kinsler – .272
- 1B-Miguel Cabrera – .331
- LF-Yoenis Cespedes – .279
- RF-J.D. Martinez – .255
- DH-Tyler Collins – .267
- C-James McCann – .284
- 3B-Nick Castellanos – .233
- SS-Jose Iglesias – .333