We’re changing things up a little by giving the transactions area it’s own category, named Insider Waiver Wire. As always, transactions will be posted here. We’ve also pulled the disabled list transactions to this column, with the injury report being strictly about updates on ailing players. Also, the posts in this category will no longer be running posts, and will be be posted every Wednesday. Major headlines will not have a weekly schedule, and will be posted as they come.
Now let’s get down to business at the Big A!
Today the #Angels placed Shane Robinson on 15-day DL with a right ankle sprain & selected Todd Cunningham to ML roster.
— Angels (@Angels) July 6, 2016
- Robinson joins a long list of Halos on the mend. He was grabbing his ankle after reaching first base in Tuesday’s 13-5 stomping of the Tampa Bay Rays. He was crouching and looked like he was in considerable pain. Shane was immediately taken out for none other than Mike Trout, who was supposed to have the day off. And it true Mike Trout fashion, he was only in the game for thirty seconds before scoring a run. Luckily this injury goes to an emergency depth piece and not to a major piece, such as… Mike Trout.
Nick Tropeano will start on Monday, Jhoulys Chacin will move to the bullpen.
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) July 3, 2016
- Trop was activated on and sent to AAA Salt Lake, mainly to get himself ready to return to the rotation. He wasn’t quite there in his rehab assignment. But sure enough he made it back quickly and had another good start on Monday in Tampa.
- Jose Alvarez was sent to AAA Salt Lake in the corresponding move, thus finally sparing Angels fans the dread of watching him giving up a run every single time he stepped on the mound!
.@Angels reinstate RHP Joe Smith from 15-day DL; option RHP Mike Morin to Triple-A Salt Lake.
— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) July 1, 2016
- Smith may have recovered from his hamstring injury, but he is still looking for that release point. Those kinds of ailments can really mess with a pitcher’s mechanics. And until Joe irons out the kinks from that injury, he’s going to continue to have us biting our fingernails every times he’s out there. As of right now, Cam Bedrosian is pushing his way into Smith’s set up role, and may even dethrone Huston Street from the closer role…
RHP JC Ramirez has been claimed off waivers by the Angels.
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) June 26, 2016
- Ramirez had a 6.40 ERA with Cincy before the Angels acquired the reliever for cash. In 5 games in the Halos’ banged up bullpen, J.C. Has a 3.18 ERA. Maybe it’s a step in the right direction towards fixing the bullpen, or it’s a fluke. We hope it’s the former. We’ll see.
- A.J. Achter was sent to AAA when Ramirez was called up.
- 6/27/16: Angels signed LHP Justin Kelly to a minor league contract.
- 7/2/16: Angels signed LHP Erik Davis to a minor league contract.