Texas Rangers (45-49, 3rd AL West) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (54-41, 1st AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim – Anaheim, CA
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 81F, Wind W (out to RF) 8mph, 0% Chance of Rain
Colby Lewis (9-4, 4.63 ERA)
Lewis has been a solid performer in the Texas rotation so far this season as he has allowed 3 earned runs or fewer in 14 of his 19 starts. Tonight will be his 3rd start against the Angels this season. On April 24 in Anaheim, he held the Angels to 2 runs on 4 hits over 5 innings. On July 5 in Arlington on the other hand, the Angels roughed him up for 10 runs on 12 hits in just 4 innings. His last start on Saturday was a good one. He held the Astros to 2 runs on 4 hits over 7 1/3 innings to take the win in a game the Rangers just held on to win 7-6.
Nick Tropeano (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Tropeano will be making just his 2nd big league start this season and just the 5th of his MLB career this evening. Tropeano was scratched from his normal start for Triple-A Salt Lake on Wednesday to make tonight’s start because due to Monday’s doubleheader, the Angels required another starter to give Hector Santiago proper rest before making his next start, which will be tomorrow night. In Tropeano’s lone start for the Angels back on April 23, he held Oakland scoreless on 5 hits over 6 innings to take the win in a game the Angels won 2-0. Overall this year for Triple-A Salt Lake, Tropeano has pitched to a 3-3 record and 4.43 ERA in 11 starts (61 innings).
- This will be Josh Hamilton‘s first appearance at Angel Stadium since being traded to the Rangers on April 27. Hamilton spent the previous two seasons with the Angels before a series of events led to the trade, so his return is likely to be a spotlight pregame event.
- When asked whether he was concerned about how he would be received by Angel fans, Hamilton said he had more difficulty handling an adverse reaction when he played in Arlington for the first time after signing with the Angels. “Obviously, I had more invested in the Rangers and Arlington,” Hamilton said. “I was more nervous when I was with the Angels playing the Rangers.”
- Rangers starter Colby Lewis is 5-1 with a 4.55 ERA in his past nine starts. His only loss in that span was to the Angels, and he is 0-6 with an 11.35 ERA in his past six starts against them.
- The Angels are 7-2 against the Rangers this season and 21-7 since the beginning of the 2014 season.
- CF-Delino DeShields, Jr. – .277
- 2B-Rougned Odor – .268
- DH-Prince Fielder – .341
- 3B-Adrian Beltre – .259
- 1B-Mitch Moreland – .286
- LF-Josh Hamilton – .237
- SS-Elvis Andrus – .246
- RF-Shin-Soo Choo – .234
- C-Robinson Chirinos – .221
- 2B-Johnny Giavotella – .266
- RF-Kole Calhoun – .272
- CF-Mike Trout – .303
- DH-Albert Pujols – .262
- SS-Erick Aybar – .285
- 1B-C.J. Cron – .272
- C-Chris Iannetta – .205
- 3B-Kyle Kubitza – .200
- LF-Dan Robertson – .274
AL West Standings:
- L.A. Angels – 54-41
- Houston – 54-43 – 1 GB
- Texas – 45-49 – 8.5 GB
- Seattle – 44-52 – 10.5 GB
- Oakland – 44-43 – 11 GB
Other AL West Matchups:
- Houston @ Kansas City – 5:10pm Pacific
- Toronto @ Seattle – 7:10pm Pacific
- Oakland @ San Francisco – 7:15pm Pacific