Boston Red Sox (42-47, 5th AL East) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (48-40, 1st AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim – Anaheim, CA
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Sunny, 77F, Wind WSW 9mph, 0% Chance of Rain
Wade Miley (8-8, 4.80 ERA)
Wade Miley pitched the Red Sox last game before the All-Star break on Sunday, and he will now get the ball again in their first game after the break tonight. Miley last faced the Angels on May 24 at Fenway and pitched well. He held the Angels to just 1 run on 4 hits over 8 innings to take the win in a game the Red Sox won 6-1. In his last start Sunday however, Miley gave up 6 runs on 7 hits over 5 1/3 innings to the Yankees and took the loss in a game the Red Sox lost 8-6.
C.J. Wilson (7-7, 3.83 ERA)
C.J. Wilson will get the ball to kick off the Angels second half tonight and will be pitching for the first time since Saturday in Seattle. While Wilson has had an up & down season so far, he has put up quality starts in each of his last 3 outings, going 2-1 with a 3.38 ERA in 18 2/3 innings in that span. In his last start in Seattle, he held the Mariners to 3 runs on 5 hits in 6 2/3 innings, but also walked 4 and took the loss as the Angels fell to the Mariners 5-0.
- Second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be back in the Red Sox’s starting lineup Friday. Pedroia, who was eligible to come off the disabled list this past Friday with a right hamstring injury, rested over the All-Star break and will not go out on a rehab assignment.
- While Boston first baseman Mike Napoli is batting just .193, he’s had plenty of success vs. the Angels in his career. Against his former club, Napoli is hitting .333 with 18 HRs and 36 RBIs in 47 career games.
- Halos closer Huston Street was unavailable for the four-game series in Seattle because of a groin injury he suffered on the final pitch of last Wednesday’s win against the Rockies at Coors Field. Street, one save away from 300 for his career, will throw a bullpen session during Thursday’s workout in hopes of being available for the series opener.
- CF-Mookie Betts – .277
- 2B-Dustin Pedroia – .306
- SS-Xander Bogaerts – .304
- DH-David Ortiz – .231
- LF-Hanley Ramirez – .274
- 3B-Pablo Sandoval – .265
- 1B-Mike Napoli – .193
- RF-Shane Victorino – .240
- C-Ryan Hanigan – .237