Boston Red Sox (42-49, 5th AL East) @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (50-40, 1st AL West)
Angel Stadium of Anaheim – Anaheim, CA
ESPN Sunday Night Baseball
Weather Forecast @ 1st Pitch: Scattered Showers, 86F, Wind SW 12mph, 30% Chance of Rain
Eduardo Rodriguez (5-2, 3.59 ERA)
Rodriguez, the Red Sox rookie left-hander, will be making his 10th start of the season this evening as he did not join the Red Sox rotation until May 28. He has however gone at least 6 innings in 6 of his 9 starts so far, and has been one of the best stories of an otherwise disappointing season for the Red Sox. In his last start on July 11, Rodriguez held the Yankees to 2 runs on 5 hits over 6 1/3 innings and earned the W in a game the Red Sox won 5-3.
Hector Santiago (6-4, 2.33 ERA)
Newly anointed American League All-Star gets the ball tonight for the Halos. Although Santiago didn’t get the chance to pitch in the Midsummer Classic, he does put his 3rd best in the AL 2.33 ERA on the line tonight. Obviously Santiago has been brilliant all season long and quite the pleasant surprise for the Halos. Santiago’s last start was July 10 in Seattle. In that game he held the Mariners to 1 run on 8 hits over 7 innings and took the win in a game the Angels won 7-3.
- Rodriguez is 3-0 with a 1.82 ERA in four starts this season when facing a team that is leading its division.
- In five career games (four starts) against Boston, Santiago is 0-3 with a 3.91 ERA.
- Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli is batting .327 with 18 home runs and 36 RBIs in 48 games against the Angels.
- CF-Mookie Betts – .271
- 2B-Dustin Pedroia – .298
- SS-Xander Bogaerts – .302
- DH-David Ortiz – .233
- LF-Hanley Ramirez – .268
- 3B-Pablo Sandoval – .267
- 1B-Mike Napoli – .191
- RF-Shane Victorino – .244
- C-Ryan Hanigan – .222