The trade deadline has passed, but players are being put on waivers and that means teams will be monitoring the wire to see what players they can still add by the August 31 waiver deadline to add depth that can still be eligible for postseason play. We will continue to track this in our newest weekly running post of ‘Stoneman’s Lair‘:
- MLB Trade Rumors does a great job of explaining how trade deadlines work.
- Righty Vinnie Pestano accepted his outright assignments rather than electing to test free agency. He was designated for assignment recently as the Angels looked to free roster space for deadline acquisitions.
- Upon the Detroit Tigers‘ dismissal of CEO/GM Dave Dombrowski, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times announced that Angels sources he spoke to didn’t envision Dombrowski taking the GM seat in Anaheim.
- Right-hander Jeremy McBryde has cleared waivers, and has been outrighted to AAA Salt Lake. McBryde was designated for assignment earlier in the week. In 659 1/3 career minor league innings, McBryde has a 4.07 ERA. He’s struggled to a 5.63 ERA in 46 1/3 relief frames for Salt Lake this season.
- The Angels and at least one other team are also considering Chase Utley.
- The Halos also made a brief run at Yoenis Cespedes, but didn’t come close to landing him. In the end it was a matter of the Tigers not being as into the Angels’ prospects as much as the pieces the Mets had to offer.